Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Misconceptions about Hell

The topic of Hell leaves a lot of room for speculation, but the Bible has enough information to answer the most important questions. In my quest to learn about this dreaded place of pain and hopelessness, I've come across some interesting misconceptions about hell. They aren't very far from the truth, but a misconception is a misconception.

1. Is hell an eternal destination?
Common answer is yes. The Bible's answer is No.

2. Hell was created for the Devil and his angels and not for Man.
Common census is that this statement is true. Bible seems to disagree.

3. Is the devil in charge of hell?
This is probably the hardest question to answer from the bible, but most Christians would say no. The main problem I have with that answer is that it is mostly derived from the previous misconceptions. I would be split between a yes and no answer based on what the bible has influenced me to believe.

Let's tackle the first misconception.

1. Is hell an eternal destination?

This one is an easy one to miss because people mix up Hell and the Lake of fire and don't realize that these are two different places. The lake of fire is the eternal destination for the lost. As a matter of fact, hell will be cast into the lake of fire in the end. Hell is just a holding place, for those who have rejected God's invitation to hang-out with Him and that are waiting for final judgment. There are several places in scripture that can validate this, but the follow scripture pretty much does it one swoop.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
(Revelation 20:13-15)

2. Hell was created for the devil and his angels and not for Man.

I believe the bible shows this to be a misconception. Besides, it seems have the same problem as the first misconception. This one is not as strait forward as the previous one, but I will show the scriptures that lead me to believe otherwise. The following verse is where this statement comes from, but I believe it is speaking about the lake of fire and not hell.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
(Matthew 25:41)

Since this seems to be speaking about the final judgment, I would say that the term "everlasting fire" is referring to the lake of fire. The Lake of Fire is what God has prepared for the devil and his angels not hell. So the question arises, who was hell created for? I believe that hell was created for man because of Adam's sin. There are several places in scripture that give this impression, but the following scripture is the one I picked to share because it states that hell enlarges itself to accommodate more people.

Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
(Isaiah 5:14)

3. Is the Devil in charge of hell?

The bible doesn't give a direct answer to this question that I know of, but I will share some of the scriptures that lead me to believe that the answer is both yes and no. First the devil is given the title "Prince of this World" more than once in the bible.

Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
(John 14:30)

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
(Matthew 16:18)

Even though the devil has been given a lease on this world because of Adam's sin, you will notice throughout scripture that he is limited by what that position permits him to do on this earth. I believe it is the same with hell. Since scripture gives the location of hell as being located in the center of the earth, I believe it falls under the devil's jurisdiction. Yet, I also believe the devil is limited in hell the same way he is limited on earth and enjoys tormenting the souls in hell only based on how much they gave in to sin here on earth. Remember, hell is just a holding place for the lost.

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
(Matthew 12:40)

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
(1 Peter 3:18-19)

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
(Philippians 2:10)

I believe that even though the devil has power and authority, it is was not originally given to him. I it was originally given to Adam, so the devil's authority is a stolen authority. But his time is coming to an end as you can perceive from the previous verse. Like I said before, these scriptures don't necessarily say that the devil is in charge of hell, but it may help to satisfy our curiosity. For most of us, if we want a more definite answer from God, we may have to wait until we leave this world.

Clay in the Hands of the Potter.

No comments: